What are technical electives in the PeraCom degree programme?
PeraCom technical electives are courses that are specific to the field of computer engineering and are
offered as part of the undergraduate curriculum for the program. These courses include topics from
disciplines such as software engineering, systems, computer networks, and artificial intelligence. They are
typically optional courses that students can choose to take in addition to the core courses in the program.
The purpose of technical electives is to allow students to specialize in a particular area of computer
engineering and gain a more in-depth understanding of a specific topic.
What is the difference between a core course and an elective?
Core courses and elective courses are different types of courses that are typically offered in undergraduate
Core courses are required courses that all students in a particular program must take. These courses are
intended to provide students with a strong foundation in the subject matter and to develop essential skills.
They are typically focused on the main concepts and theories of the program and are usually mandatory to
Elective courses, on the other hand, are courses that students can choose to take but are not required.
These courses are intended to allow students to explore specific areas of interest or to gain additional
knowledge in specialized areas. Elective courses are often offered as a way for students to diversify their
knowledge and skills, to tailor their education to their personal or career goals, or to fulfill certain
What factors need to be considered when selecting a technical elective?
When selecting a technical elective in a computer engineering program, several factors should be considered:
- Relevance to your career goals: Consider which electives align with your desired career path. For
example, if you want to specialize in machine learning, you may want to take an elective in artificial
- Prerequisites: Make sure that you have the necessary background to take the elective. Some electives may
have prerequisites that you need to have completed before you can enroll.
- Faculty: Research the faculty who will be teaching the elective. Look at their research interests and
publications to get a sense of their expertise in the field.
- Course content: Look at the course syllabus to get a sense of what topics will be covered in the
elective. If possible, read the textbook or other materials to get a better sense of the course.
- Class schedule: Consider the schedule of the elective, including the time of day and frequency of
meetings, to ensure that it fits into your schedule.
- Availability: Some electives may have limited availability or be offered only once a year, so plan
- Resources: Check if the elective has any resources such as lab or software, that will help you to be
successful in the elective and that you have access to them.
- Personal interest: Consider your interests. If you are passionate about a specific area of computer
engineering, you may want to take an elective in that area even if it may not align with your career
- Feedback from other students: Talk to other students who have taken the elective or check online student
reviews to get a sense of the course content and difficulty level, as well as the teaching style of the
- Graduation requirements: Check the graduation requirements of your program to make sure that the
elective will count towards your degree. Some electives may only count as elective credit, while others
may be required for your program.
- Credit hours: Consider the number of credit hours required for the elective. Some electives may require
more credit hours than others, so plan accordingly.
- Curriculum updates: Check if the elective course is being updated or replaced with new ones, taking the
updated version may be beneficial.
- Hands-on experience: Look for electives that offer hands-on experience with real-world projects or
industry partnerships. This can give you valuable skills and insights that will be useful in your future
- Research opportunities: See if the elective offers any research opportunities. This can give you a
chance to work with a professor on a research project, which can be a great way to gain experience and
potentially lead to publications or other opportunities.
- International opportunities: Check if the elective has any international opportunities, such as study
abroad programs or international collaborations. This can give you a chance to gain a global perspective
on your field of study and make valuable connections with professionals from around the world.
- online or hybrid format: Check the format of the elective, whether it's online or hybrid, some students
may prefer one format over the other.
Choosing the right technical elective can greatly enhance your education and career opportunities, so it's
important to carefully consider all of these factors before making your decision.
Why are technical electives important?
Technical electives allow students to specialize in a particular area of computer engineering or to gain a
more in-depth understanding of a specific topic. They can also help students to align their education with
their career goals and interests.
Are there prerequisites for technical electives?
Some electives may have prerequisites that you need to have completed before you can enroll. It is important
to check the prerequisites for each elective before enrolling to ensure that you have the necessary
background to take the course.
How many technical electives do I have to take?
The number of technical electives required will vary depending on the program. Check the graduation
requirements of your program to find out how many electives you need to take.
Are technical electives graded?
Yes, technical electives are graded, just like any other course. The grading criteria and weighting may vary
depending on the course and coordinator.
Can I take a technical elective outside of my program?
Are there any resources available to help me choose a technical elective?
You can talk to your academic advisor or the department offering the elective, or check the program website
for information. You can also talk to other students who have taken the elective to get a sense of the
course content and difficulty level, as well as the teaching style of the instructor.
Can I change my technical elective after I have enrolled in it?
A grace period will be given to make an informative decision. However, it is important to check the deadlines
for adding or dropping a course and to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to your
What if a particular technical elective is not offered in the current semester or academic year?
If a particular technical elective that you are interested in is not offered in the current semester or
academic year, there are a few options you can consider:
- Wait for the elective to be offered again: Some electives may be offered on a rotating basis, so you may
be able to take the elective in a future semester or academic year.
- Check for alternative electives: Look for alternative electives that may cover similar topics or skills.
Talk to your academic advisor or the department offering the elective for recommendations.
- Online Courses: Some MOOCs may offer the elective in an online or hybrid format, check if it's
It's important to note that some electives may be only offered occasionally and it may not be possible to
take them every semester. It's important to plan ahead and to consider other options if a particular
elective is not offered. It's always a good idea to talk to your academic advisor or the department offering
the elective for more information and guidance.
If you need further help with what you are looking for or have any doubts, please reach out
to Dr. Upul Jayasinghe.